Consensus Workshop - #2 Notes
What's stopping us from moving towards our vision?
Date: 19 November 2019, download a copy ofor view the notes below.
Our current attitude is an obstacle of the vision
- TRUST between communities and council (each other)
- Information Organisations / individuals not working together (including councils)
- Apathy - not going out to events
- Disillusion."It'll never happen."
We have not seen the fruits of ASPIRATION bloom in Preston
- Positive message from UCLan re. graduates making / basing their career / life in Preston
- Social Mobilities, Seeing is believing, Role models!
- Experience something different in Preston
We have not collectively enabled the impact and benefit of culture
- Undervaluing culture (in YP's education)
- Arts not seen as priority / important to society. Perception
We have not secured enough money for arts and culture/ Lack of recognition of some arts/ The public perception of art is not always recognised/ There's much competition for grants
- Over-reliance on funding
- Structure of Arts funding
- Demands of financial growth
- Unrealistic expectation of what councils can do? Funding.
We are (often) unwilling to share control
- Unwillingness to share control
Our motivation for collaboration is not (wholly) led by altruistic intention
- Collaborative effort / openness
- Reluctance to change
- Collaboration for the wrong reasons
- Grabbiness and competition
There are a lot of empty spaces in Preston that are inaccessible for different reasons
- Lack of accessible space (use high street)
- De-colonisation of space
- Lack of initiative to keep arts and culture alive (wherever / whatever it is)
We don't always create action from conversation
- Stepping stones and get walking
We have lacked a cohesive and representative vision (Taking into action health, well-being and social value)
- Culture Hub of Lancashire / strategy!!!
- Sustainability long term vision > action
We are without clear routes to the necessary support network
- Clearer routes
- Lack of free support and mentorship and guidance (of ideas)
- Support & enablement
We do not currently have a consistent group or team dedicated to the organisation of communities
- Lack of communication. Who should do this?
- Lack of popular support. Belief. Always smaller groups
- Fragmented sector
- Need to identify the community's gatekeeper
- Lack of coordination
- A central point to lead direction